Wednesday, January 30, 2008

World of confusion

English is loaded with pairs of words and phrases that are easily confused. That's what makes writing so much fun, right? "When Words Collide," the text I use in my writing class and which I reference to the right of this blog, contains a glossary that discusses puzzling pairs of words. In this post, I'll address a few common ones and try to revisit the issue periodically.

-- Can/may. These two aren't interchangeable. Use "can" when you are denoting ability, as in, "Do you think I can win the race?" Use "may" when you want to establish permission: "May I borrow your book?"

-- Compare with/compare to. Write "compare with" when you're making a literal comparison. "Our profit this quarter was up when compared with our profit in the same quarter last year." Use "compare to" to make a figurative comparison. "Laura compared assembling the annual report to running a marathon."

-- Since/because. "Since" is the proper word when you want to express a period of time, as in, "It has been years since I visited there." Use "because" to give a reason or cause. "Production is slumping because our machinery is old and broken." The common error involving these two is to misuse "since," as in, "I refuse to sign this report since I disagree with it." That's wrong. Swap "since" with "because."

-- Principal/principle. I recently discovered an error with this pair on a colleague's Web site. "Principal" is someone who is first in rank or authority, as in the principal of a high school or the principal speaker at a convention. "Principle" refers to a truth, doctrine or rule of conduct.

-- Eager/anxious. Writers frequently use "anxious" when what they really mean is "eager." Use "anxious" when you're describing a state of fear and worry. Think "anxious" and "anxiety." "Eager" is the word when you want to indicate a mood of stimulation or excitement.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here are two to add to the list --

"Over" vs. "more than" -- How many times do we write over 100 people attended? Over is a direction like above.

"Around" vs. "throughout" -- People say around the country, which really means surrounding or on all the borders. We really mean throughout the country, which means everywhere.

Those two are things I learned in my first month at my first p.r. job where my boss/mentor was a former newspaper and AP reporter.

Norm Leigh said...

Thanks, Dave
Good suggestions. Unfortunately, with some usage issues, I think guardians of language are losing the battle. Misuse of "over" when, as you note, it should be "more than" in cases when we're referring to countable objects, is common.

The list of misused words grows every day. All we can do is keep advocating for proper usage.