Saturday, July 28, 2007

Write as you speak -- speak as you write


Most folks would agree that we are what we eat. Considering that I consume way too many cheeseburgers and pizzas, I don't want to dwell on what that makes me. But let's modify the dietary adage and apply it to writing: "We write what we speak."

Huh? you say. OK. Maybe I'm overworking the maxim. What I'm trying to convey is that just as we're careful about grammar, punctuation and usage when we write, or should be, we must be careful about the same issues when we speak because writing and speaking are related. If we employ sloppy grammar and usage when we talk, then it's likely that the same flaws will creep into our writing.

What I've found is that people start out learning grammar, usage, punctuation, vocabulary and so on to become better writers. But as they become skilled as writers, they also become more circumspect about the words coming out of their mouth. And as Martha Stewart would say, "That's a good thing."

As we become better writers, we speak more precisely and correctly, which feeds back into our writing and, before long, you have this beautiful ying and yang thing going.

So, the next time you're holding forth about something, siphon off some of your gray matter to simultaneously mind your grammar and usage, your choice of words and the way you're structuring your sentences. Is there a chance that you might come off as too starchy? Yes, but that's part of the learning experience. Edit yourself the same way you edit your writing, and in time you'll find your true voice as a speaker, just as you'll discover it as a writer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Norm, good post here on writing. I try to keep my blog writing in a conversational tone, so it's easier to read and more friendly.

I mention this topic in a recent post, and I also refer to good essay by Mike Sansone on tone of blog writing in the new Age of Conversation book. It's at: http://reichcomm.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/07/now-that-im-awa.html

Norm Leigh said...

I agree, David, on the value of conversational writing. In fact, that 's one of the primary points I try to make to my writing students at Kent State University. When you're not sure how to say something, I advise them, imagine you're telling it to a friend. That will give you a start. Thanks for your comment and the reference to the Sansone essay.