Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Have you got rhythm?

Thanks to a post on Dan Santow's Word Wise blog, I recently visited Confident Writing, a blog by Joanna Young, a Brit, who offers 10 tips on improving your writing. To second what Dan said, Joanna does a nice job with her list, though I think every writer would have a largely different one.

I particularly like Joanna's advice that we writers must avoid basic grammar mistakes, use plain everyday words and try not to "witter on" (obviously a British expression for droning on in long, meandering sentences).

The only tip on Joanna's list that I would amend is her advice to use short sentences. Yes, short sentences are key to solid, punchy, readable writing. But over-reliance on them can also make writing read woodenly.

I advise my writing students to learn how to write short sentences; too many beginning writers tend to witter on. But once they've mastered that tool, I urge them to mix in longer sentences. Blending long and short sentences gives life and rhythm to writing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Will, nice pick up of my piece, thank you :-)

I hadn't realised at the time of writing that witter on was an unfamiliar expression - it caused quite a conversation in itself! Maybe I should add a check for Britishisms to my editing list...

You're quite right on the short sentences point, of course. I'd agree with you though about mastering the short sentences first. I have a student who needs to learn how to do this and she's resisting it because she fears her writing will become childlike and staccato. I'm asking her to trust me that once she's done this she'll be able to let go of clunky, cumbersome sentences, and then pick up a more natural pace and rhythm - one that she's back in control of.

Best wishes

Joanna

Norm Leigh said...

My students, too, fear that writing in short, simple sentences will make them appear amateurish. I tell them that it's like learning a new sport. You start with the basics (short sentences) and as you gain skill, more complex skills (like writing longer sentences that work) will come naturally.